What is Independent Living?
Independent Living is for older people who want to live in their own home but with the peace of mind of 24-hour care, if they need it.
Independent Living homes can be rented or bought outright and up to 1,000 new Independent Living homes are set to be built across Essex by 2025.
You may have heard Independent Living called Extra Care or Assisted Living. It means living in a safe property, with your own self-contained apartment in a modern scheme in the heart of the community.
Unlike sheltered housing, Independent Living offers around-the-clock support and security as well as activities and social events.
Care when you need it
The 24-hour emergency support is given by an on-site care provider. Your personal care and support can also be provided by the on-site care provider or by someone else. Personal care and support can include:
- managing your home
- help with laundry, cleaning and shopping
- personal care and support
Care can be provided if you’re a couple but only one of you needs support. Care support includes early and mid-stage dementia.
All Independent Living apartments will have their own fitted kitchen. In addition to this, all schemes will also provide good quality on-site meal provision in a restaurant or cafe setting.
Independent Living means living life your way. When you move in you'll be able to get involved with clubs and activities hosted within the scheme and also in the wider community. For example you can:
- meet new friends and join new groups and clubs
- take advantage of local shops, cafes and attractions
- live with pets (at the discretion of the on-site care provider)
All Independent Living homes are modern, easy to maintain and include:
- one or two bedrooms
- fitted kitchen with built-in oven and electric hob
- bathroom with walk-in shower and modern finish
- bright and attractive living rooms
- attractive modern flat with its own front door
On-site facilities and services will vary for each scheme. In our Independent Living schemes, you will be welcomed to enjoy shared communal spaces and facilities, including:
- communal cafe style dining room
- tv lounge with communal WIFI facilities
- mobility scooter store
- laundry room
- lifts to all floors
- landscaped gardens
Video showing residents of Helen Court
Get in touch
or call us 0345 603 7630
"I would say to anyone thinking of living here to seriously think about what it can offer. It’s a life-changing experience." Julie